- Faculty, Management, Sasin School of Management
- Affiliate Professor, Department of Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Strategy, School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University
Teaching related to strategy, innovation and design thinking; venture opportunities and business models; international growth strategies; entrepreneurial soft skills.
Tsinghua University, School of Economics and Management Associate Professor (2010-present) Associate Director and co-Founder, x-lab (2013-2018) China Europe International Business School Associate Professor (2007-2010) INSEAD, Asian Business and Comparative Management Area Assistant Professor (2001-2007) Chinese University of Hong Kong, Dept. of Management Assistant Professor (1999-2001) Hong Kong Univ. of Science and Technology, Dept. of Management of Organizations Visiting Assistant Professor (December 1997 to June 1999) Kobe University, Research Institute for Economics and Business Administration Research Associate (Kobe, May 1996 to December 1997) Sumitomo Corporation, Business Investment Planning Department Analyst (Tokyo; April 1989 to June 1992)
Refereed journal articles
- Overcoming the “liability of newness”: Entrepreneurial action and the emergence of China’s private solar photovoltaic firms. Research Policy, 45:604-617 (2016, with Wei Zhang).
- A strategic framework for determining technological learning performance in Chinese firms. International Journal of Business and Emerging Markets, 3:21-35 (2011, with Wei Xie).
- From imitation to creation: The critical yet uncertain transition for Chinese firms. Journal of Technology Management in China, 1:229-242 (2006, with Wei Xie).
- Distinguishing costs of cooperation and control in alliances. Strategic Management Journal, 26:913-932 (2005, with Steven Lui).
- Financing new ventures in China: System antecedents and institutionalization. Research Policy, 36:894-913 (2005, with Jian Gao and Wei Zhang).
- Cooperation costs, governance choice and alliance evolution. Journal of Management Studies, 42:1383-1412 (2005).
- Windows of opportunity, learning strategies, and the rise of China’s handset makers. International Journal of Technology Management, 36:230-248 (2006, with Wei Xie).
- Sequential learning in a Chinese spin-off: The case of Lenovo Group Limited. R&D Management, 34:407-422 (2004, with Wei Xie).
- Stakeholders, structure and the failure of corporate governance reform initiatives in post-crisis Thailand. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 21:103-122 (2004).
- Organizational and industrial response to market liberalization: The interaction of pace, incentive and capacity to change. Organization Studies, 23:917-948 (2002, with Greg Linden).
- Rigor and relevance in Asian management research: Where are we and where can we go? Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 19:287-352 (2002).
- Comparing innovation systems: A framework and application to China’s transitional context. Research Policy, 30:1091-1114 (2001, with Xielin Liu).
- Competition, capabilities and the make, buy or ally decisions of Chinese state-owned firms. Academy of Management Journal, 43:324-341 (2000).
- Alternative transition trajectories for market structure and firm strategy in China. Journal of Management Studies, 38:103-124 (2001, with Xielin Liu).
- An exploration into regional variation in innovative activity in China. International Journal of Technology Management, 21:114-129 (2001; with Xielin Liu).
- A survey of Chinese technology and innovation management literature, 1987-1997. International Journal of Technology Management, 21:130-150 (2001, with Xielin Liu and Wei Xie).
- Organizational processes to meet new performance criteria: Chinese pharmaceutical firms in transition. Research Policy, 27:369-383 (1998, with Xielin Liu).
- Foreign technology and domestic inputs’ relative contributions to innovation in Chinese manufacturing industries. Technovation, 17:119-125 (1997, with Xielin Liu).
- Hong Kong’s venture capital system and the commercialization of new technology, in Innovation Policy and the Limits of Laissez-Faire, Chapter 6, D. Fuller, editor. Palgrave Macmillan, 2010 (with Kevin Au).
- Venture capital and the financing of China’s new technology firms. Chapter for China’s Capitalist Transition, C. McNally, editor. Routledge, 2007 (with W. Zhang, J. Gao and P. Vega).
- Lenovo’s pursuit of dynamic strategic fit. In The Management & Performance of China’s Domestic Private Firms: Multi-disciplinary Approaches, Anne Tsui and Claudia Schoonhoven, eds. Sharpe, 2006 (with Wei Xie).
- Exploring dark corners: An agenda for organizational behavior research in alliance contexts. In Handbook of Strategic Alliances, Shenkar, O. & J.Reuer, eds. 2005 (with Kwok Leung).
- The Handbook of Asian Management. Kluwer. 2004 (co-editor, with Kwok Leung).
- The emergence of venture capital and funding of technology-based firms in China. In Financial Systems, Corporate Investment in Innovation and Venture Capital. A.Bartzokas and S.Mani, eds: Edward Elgar. 2004 (with J. Gao and W. Zhang).
- Networks and incentives in transition: A multi-level analysis of China’s pharmaceutical industry. Chapter in The Management of Enterprises in the People’s Republic of China (Tsui, A. & Lau, C.M., eds.). Norwell, Massachusetts: Kluwer (2002, with Xielin Liu).
- Biotechnology Japan, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1989 (with Mark Dibner).
Ad Hoc Reviewer for Academy of Management Journal, Research Policy, Organization Science, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management Studies, Management and Organization Review, Journal of Business Venturing, and others. Professional Affiliations
- Academy of Management (Member, Entrepreneurship and Technology and Innovation Divisions)
- Strategic Management Society
- International Association for Chinese Management Research
- Asia Association of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018. Top 20 China-based management scholars by citations, by Elsevier.
- Winner of Best Paper Award, Academy of Innovation and Entrepreneurship Conference, Sydney, 2016. Embedded agency, institutional change and the emergence of China’s solar photovoltaic industry. (with Wei Zhang and Jianxi Luo).
- Director, Ecosoftt